26 December 2008

Cheatham Shooting

After the presents were all ripped open, we went up the hill to shoot things. I brought along my Ruger Mini-14, Kimber Tactical .45ACP, and a cheap little Bersa Thunder .380.

Not to be outdone, pop-in-law had his Mini-14 with a new Tapco collapsible stock (Christmas present), his Ruger 44mag revolver, Ruger Luger .22, and a Browning .22. That and a box of clay pigeons, we were good to go.

Well almost good to go. I forgot my bag of ear/eye protection in the garage so we had to go to Bass Pro Shop in the Opry Mills Mall first. What a zoo. No one told these people that there was an economic down-turn. The mall and every parking spot was pack-o'd. On the way to Bass's (Basses?), pop-in-law mentioned that we needed to go to the "gittin place". Huh? In Tennessee, the place to "git" things is called a "gittin place".


Comic #142

You laughed and yes, you are going to hell. AnotherRandomDay.com

We went to Cheatham WMA range in Middle Tennessee just like the year before. But this time, they had a sign posted that required a shooting fee. It's an unsupervised outdoor range with trash and spent shotgun shells everywhere. I don't know what they plan to do with the shooting fees. I hope they clean up the place.

On the 50yd section, we tossed a bunch of clays on the side of the hill and went at it. I shot pretty decent with the Mini-14 (.223) and really well with the 4" Kimber .45ACP. I'm a good shot with a pistol but I was thrilled that I was shattering clays at 50yds. I think it was more due to the pistol quality than my shooting talent. With the Bersa .380, I was hitting the side of the hill and that was about it. If you're further than 25yds from the bad guy, the Bersa isn't going to be much use. Of course, if you're more than 25yds away, you probably should be running instead of shooting.

My son mostly shot the Browning .22 rifle, the Luger .22, a few times with the Bersa .380 and had a great time. He gets so anxious and shoots really fast instead of taking his time and enjoying each shot. Instant gratification is his game. But he's only 10yo so I guess waiting more than a second between shots is waiting an eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment