15 May 2009

Porsche Boxster Cabriolet

Sometimes you just have to give in. I tried to be strong but night after night. Day after day. All I heard was "buy me, buy me". How much is a man expected to take? We can only be so strong before we all break down.

It was hard, but I relented and came home with a Boxster. It's my combo birthday present and mid-life crisis consolation prize.

As my old age time bomb has been approaching over the last year, I've been thinking about the 40th anniversary Camaro.

I had a 1969 Camaro in my Senior year of high school. During the first semester, a girl in my first period class was driving her brother's 1965 Mustang to school and somehow drove her front bumper all the way into my backseat. And then tried to hit-n-run. Since the cars had become melded into one, she didn't get very far but she sure did try.

Anyway, I've been thinking a lot about the new Camaros. But with all the trouble GM has been having, I'm just not excited about paying $10K premium to a company that's on the verge of bankrupcy. And the last few years of Chevrolets really haven't seemed like quality cars. Probably not a good choice.

So I've been cruising Craigslist and eBay looking at other sports cars that I've wanted since I was 13. High on the list was a Datsun 280Z. Man, I wanted one of those so bad back then. When I look at them now, they're kinda cheesy. Not sure what was driving my desire back then. Maybe puberty.

Last week, I thought I had found the car. A Porsche Boxster Cabriolet. Price was right. Bank said yes. And boss said yes. Yes! No. The owner said it had been in an accident and the hood was replaced. That's not bad really. I mean as long as nothing was seriously crunched, for the right price, that wouldn't bother me. The owner said unless he hadn't told me, I'd never know. Said it was a perfect match/fit and there was no lingering problems. Then the night before I was to drive to Chicago to see it, it was disclosed that the frame "was bent or had been bent". What? I talked to the guy a dozen times, emailed a dozen more. And the night before I see it, it's "disclosed"? No way, wasn't going to waste any more time on that dream.

The idea of a Boxster Roadster stayed with me though. And Mr Craiglist led me to the next beautiful car. The Great White.

One word to sum up the car. Wow.

I love it. It is so clean. Perfect interior and exterior. Looks brand new. Nice throaty rumble, comfy leather seats, decent audio. Drives so nice.

When I told the kids that I spent their college funds and they'd have to attend community colleges now, my daughter said. "That's okay. Will you drive me to school tomorrow?"



Update: Sad Day for the Great White Boxster

3 comments:

  1. nice car. what year? how much $ ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you..

    I had a '69 Camaro in high school too and bought a 'replacement' in 2008.. love it.

    Mid-life crisis' are a good thing :)

    Here's mine:
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l54/HIRISC/Motorplex/rawAZB_2231_1.jpg

    Enjoy the Boxster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi hirisc. nice car! I really like that blue, great choice. After having the Boxster for a year, I decided that my mid-life crisis wasn't over and bought a 911 to keep it company.

    ReplyDelete